CEREC Same Day Restorations
CEREC or Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics, is a revolutionary computer-aided system that lets us design, make and fit a brand-new crown, veneer, onlay, inlay, implant, or denture in just one visit. That’s fast, as the conventional process usually takes a few weeks!
How does CEREC work?
- We prepare the tooth in question just as we would for a normal crown or veneer, but instead of using traditional methods and taking an impression of the tooth, we take a 3D pic using a special camera.
- The CEREC software is used to make a highly accurate 3D model of your tooth from which we will design your smart new restoration.
- The design will be refined by your dentist using the CAD software.
- When we are totally happy with this design, we send the data to an onsite milling machine.
- The machine cleverly creates the new tooth fitting from a colour-matched ceramic block.
- Once the restoration is perfect and blends in with your other teeth, we’ll fix it permanently to your prepared tooth and you will be ready to show off your new smile!
How long does CEREC take?
Unlike conventional restorations, which may take a few weeks to produce, the CEREC ones can be created and fitted in just one visit. It depends on the case in hand but sometimes CEREC can be completed within just one hour.
CEREC for same day crowns
Traditional dental crowns have been a reliable method of improving people’s smiles for many years but with new technological advancements of CEREC, crowns can be fitted in just a single visit. CEREC crowns fit perfectly, and they look and feel just like a real tooth thanks to the CAD computer-aided technology used to design and create them.
We no longer have to use messy impressions, which we can sometimes be used in conventional composite or amalgam crowns, and instead we use a small camera to create the 3D impression of your teeth. This image is sent to the in-house milling unit and a crown is produced from porcelain. This provides a much stronger and more reliable restoration. It is used at our practice primarily for restoring the posterior (back) teeth.
What are the benefits?
- A damaged tooth can be given a new lease with tooth matching ceramics.
- It’s fast, everything is neatly sorted in a single appointment. A lab-produced crown normally requires two or three visits, so CEREC saves you precious time.
- Only one anaesthetic is needed because it’s a one-visit procedure.
- We can keep an eye on the whole process because the restoration is being made in-house
- With no waiting between appointments, there’s no need for a temporary restoration to keep your tooth safe.
- It’s more economical as you will need fewer appointments and there are no external lab costs.
- Great for nervous patients as the process is comfortably quick.
Frequently Asked Questions
The word “CEREC” stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramic. Put simply, it's a dental system that uses computers to help design and create customised dental restorations in a short time, usually just a single visit.
They look natural and can provide patients with the smile they’ve always wanted. CEREC crowns can last between 10 to 15 years. It’s vital for patients with CEREC crowns to avoid biting down or grinding their teeth to help prolong the life of the crown.
CEREC restorations are as safe as traditional ones. The ceramic is biocompatible.
A CEREC crown usually costs from around £500.
It depends on what is required but the restoration will be made and fitted in the same appointment and can sometimes be completed in as little time as one hour.